Main Street, Stony Brook, Postcard. (From the Postcard Collection of the Suffolk County Historical Society Library Archives. Image © copyright Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.)
Historian Richard M. Bayles, writing in 1873, describes the Stony Brook of that time in his Historical Sketches:
"Stony Brook is a village of seven hundred inhabitants on the east side of Stony Brook Harbor, in the northwest part of [Brookhaven] town. The locality was called by the Indians Wopowog, and from the immense quantities of shells found in the neighborhood, is supposed to have been a favorite place of residence with the natives.... Ship building is engaged in to some extent, and a new set of marine railways has recently been laid down for the accommodation of repairs. Large quantities of cordwood have been shipped from this port during years past. An ancient mill site is situated on a small stream of water, which empties into the harbor at this point. The village lines a single street about a mile and a half in length and running an average direction of north and south....
"The village contains two flourishing district schools, two hotels..., five stores, and a number of workshops. The manufacture of pianos was carried on some years ago by C. S. Seabury. Two docks extend into the harbor from the lower part of the village, and a line of packets [operate to] New York.... A Methodist church was built in 1817, which was sold and coverted into a dwelling..., and a new one erected in 1860 in the northeast part of the village.... A weekly newspaper, the Independent Press, was started in the village by H. Markham in 1865. It was moved to Port Jefferson in 1868."
- Richard M. Bayles, Historical and Descriptive Sketches of Suffolk County.
We will be closed on Saturday, Sept. 2,
for the Labor Day holiday.