What's hot this month on island? - July 2017
Can't read this email? View in browser
Welcome to the HIVE Employment and Education Hotlist

Are you looking for work or wishing to enhance your employ-ability whilst on island? Then this months HOTLIST is for you!

A posting to Cyprus can be daunting for dependant's, especially as they may have to give up full/part time work in the UK to accompany their spouse/partner. There are lots of options for UKD's (UK Dependant's) to either enhance their C.V or to find employment. For better prospects in your next posting... 


Here are ways you can find employment:

1. Employment withing BFC - Subscribe to the Island Job Vacancies distribtuion page. This can also be done by visiting your local HIVE. - Read more »

2.  SSAFA - employs a variety of UK Dependants (UKD) if you have experience in a health and social care proffesion contact them here - http://ssafa-cyprus.org/vacancies

3. Childminder - are you a qualified Childminder? You can register to become a childminder through SSAFA. Read more »

4. Self Employed - do you wish to run your own business, whether your a trained hairdresser, beautician, crafter, photographer etc. You can apply for a business license by downloading the application here - Read more »

5. Home Start - are always looking for Volunteers to help out families with young children, you are give full training to provide emotional and practical support. You can contact Nicola Balmer on 2474 4802 Read more »

6. SSAFA - also welcome volunteers to help with fundraising to support Serving Personnel, Community projects, Service families, Community Volunteer expenses and the running of the SSAFA Playhouse Read more »

7. Teaching - Would you like to share your skills and develop others in the community? Then you could offer a course though the Community learning programme (see poster below) contact the education centre for more details on 2474 4775 Read more »

8.  Ay Nik Animal Welfare - are always looking for volunteers and fundraisers, for more information see the link Read more >>

9. Cyprus Labour Office - employment in the republic is limited for non-Cypriots and an understanding of Greek is preferable. Occasional work may be obtained in the service industries and tourist areas.  Vacancies are advertised in the local press and through the local labour offices. For employment in shops / bars / clubs enquiries should be made directly to the establishment. Read more »

10.  Job Seeker Allowance (JSA) - Job Seekers Allowance is paid to people who are looking for work and can be either contribution based or income based.  The process for claiming JSA can be complicated for the Service spouse, however not impossible. NB The process needs to be started in the UK, but once in Cyprus you have only 7 days to complete the registration process. Read more »


Dhekelia Army Education Centre


You can contact the Dhekelia Army Education Centre on 2474 4775 and speak to Maria.

E-Learning Centre - 2474 4912

Jets Academy - 2474 4048

You can find out more by visiting the Facebook page on the link below.


If you are looking to enhance your CV here are some options:

1. PCDL - A variety of PCDL Courses; guitar skills, dancing, jewellery making, beauty courses, animal care, Greek and Turkish language, Mosaic class, yoga, craft courses etc. The courses start in September, January and April to mirror the school term times.  A minimum of six sign-ups is required for each course and the courses on offer are dependent on instructor availability. Keep an eye out on the HIVE blog for new timetables and registration dates. Read more »

2. ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) - is the European Standard in end-user computer skills.  It is a certification in the practical use of computers and computer applications. If you want to brush up on your computer skill and enhance your C.V Contact the Education centre about how to enroll Read more »

3. Jets Acamdemy - For information on various Vocational and Training Qualifications (VTQ) and Apprenticships contact the Jets Academy on 2474 4048 Read more »

4. The Open University (OU) - is the United Kingdom’s only university dedicated to distance learning. For further information contact to the Education Centre Manager.  Most OU exams can be sat at Dhekelia Station, these are automatically arranged if you register your address on-line as being Ayios Nikolaos (BFPO 59), however the OU Clerk, Tonia, can be contacted Tel: (00357) 2527 6165.  OU Advisers/Careers Advisers visit Cyprus for any prospective or current student, details will be well advertised when these visits take place. Read more »

5. CivvyStreet - aims to provide support and mentoring for all those who are looking for employment opportunities or transfering their skills. CivvyStreet is for anyone who has served in the UK Armed Forces (regular or reserves). It is also for their widows, widowers, partners and dependants. Anyone with an Armed Forces connection can apply to become a registered and approved member of CivvyStreet. Membership is validated against Armed Forces number and branch. Read more »

6. Army Families Federation (AFF) - Can offer information on gaining employment and training and where to go for funding help Read more »

7. The CTP - provides resettlement services for those leaving the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Marines. Regardless of time served, all members of the Armed Forces can benefit from CTP support when leaving Service.  Depending on length of service, they offer free resettlement services to all ranks of the UK Armed Forces, including the Navy & Royal Marines, British Army and Royal Air Force – Their aim is to help you make the transition as smooth as possible. Read more »

8. SSAFA - offer training in domestic abuse, mental health and safeguarding, so if you would like to enhance your knowledge in these areas or wish to work in an environment that may require this knowledge, follow the link for more information Read more >>


PCDL Instructors Wanted


Contact the Dhekelia Army Education Center on:

2474 4775


When Its time to leave Island
Claim your National Insurance Credits


If you are accompanying your spouse/civilian partner, you may be entitled to National Insurance Credits. You will need to complete the National Insurance Credits form and send it off, once it is signed by your Welfare Officer. You can get more information from the HIVE. 


Get in touch with us

clock icon     OPENING HOURS

Monday - Friday: 0800 - 1300

person icon     CONTACT

The HIVE, Amenities Centre, Dhekelia Station, BFPO 58
Phone: 2474 4551
Email: dhekeliahive@armymail.mod.uk

© 2016. All Rights Reserved
Left the island? Not interested in the Hotlist? Unsubscribe | Or update your preferences

This e-mail transmission is intended solely for the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. It may contain legally privileged and/or OFFICIAL information. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not an intended recipient please inform the sender without delay and delete this e-mail, attachments and possible copies immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of this e-mail or any information it contains is prohibited.