Hysterectomy Might Improve Sex, Study Suggests
ISSM "2-For-1" Promotion: Join By September 30!
For most women, having a hysterectomy has little effect on their sexual function, according to a recent Journal of Sexual Medicine study.
Researchers from Israel analyzed previous studies on the sexual implications of hysterectomy for benign reasons, which improve quality of life.
They found that most women did not develop sexual dysfunction as a result of surgery, even after considering the type of surgery and whether the cervix was removed along with the uterus.
In fact, some women felt that sex improved after surgery, especially if it resolved symptoms like pain, incontinence, abnormal bleeding, and bowel issues.
Some women did report changes in genital sensation, but these were "comparatively minor," the authors said.
Changes in body image could have emotional and sexual effects, they added. Women may feel less complete once their uterus has been removed.
Clinicians should counsel women on the "medical and psychological benefits" of hysterectomy before surgery, the authors explained.
For more details on the study, please click here.
Health professionals who live or work and China may be eligible for a "2-For-1" membership program. Get two years of ISSM membership for the price of one!
Please note that the following terms and conditions apply:
• The promotion applies only to health professionals living or working in China.
• Only those who have never been an ISSM member or those who have terminated their ISSM membership in good standing (no unpaid fees) and have not been an ISSM member for at least two years can apply for the ISSM “2 for 1” membership promotion.
• The promotion is valid for new applications received from May 1, 2016 until September 30, 2016.
• All ISSM membership benefits will apply from the moment you become a member until December 31, 2017.
• Membership dues are payable for the first year on admission to membership (2016) and waived for the second year (2017). Starting in 2018, dues are payable annually.
• Any person eligible for membership will be admitted only on the approval of the Board of Directors.
It's easy to apply for membership! Get all the details here.