Having trouble viewing this email? View the online version.
ISSM logo

Latest News from the ISSM - January 9, 2015 Member Login
Register By February 15 for the Panama 2015 Symposium

We hope you'll join us for "The New Sexual Medicine: Integrating Pharmacotherapy, Sexual Therapy and Surgery."

This conference, jointly organized by the ISSM, the World Association for Sexual Health (WAS), and the Sociedad Latinoamericana de Medicina Sexual (SLAMS), will be held March 14-15, 2015 in Panama City, Panama. 

Attendees can take advantage of discounted early registration fees if their payment is received before February 15, 2015. On or after February 15, late registration fees will be charged. Fees vary by professional category. Please click here for more information. Registration is easy with this online form.

A block of rooms has been reserved for attendees at the conference hotel, the Panama Marriott Hotel, located in the heart of Panama City. A discounted room rate of USD 113 is available until the cut-off date, February 21, 2015. This fee includes breakfast and internet access, but it does not include taxes. The room block may sell out before the cut-off date, so we encourage you to make your reservations early.

We hope to see you there!  Full information, including the scientific program, may be found at the meeting website.

Statins Don't Raise Risk of Sexual or Gonadal Dysfunction, Study Says

Taking statins does not increase a man's risk for sexual or gonadal dysfunction, according to a study published in November in The Journal of Sexual Medicine.

Past studies on statins have had mixed results in terms of sexual health, prompting American researchers to study a large group of men.

They examined data from over 20,000 participants with a mean age was 54 years. About 38% of the men used statins. The remaining 62% did not.

The researchers then matched 3,302 statin users with 3,302 statin nonusers for a propensity score-matched analysis.

Among these men, psychosexual dysfunction, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and erectile dysfunction (ED) were the most common outcomes. Testicular function and infertility were not common.

But the researchers found no association between statin use and a higher or lower risk for any of these conditions.

“The results of our study suggest that statins may not be beneficial for prevention of sexual dysfunction, nor do they increase the risk for such events,” the authors wrote.

Please click here to learn more.

You are receiving this newsletter because you are subscribed to our mailing list.
If you would rather not receive emails like this in the future you can unsubscribe.

ISSM | International Society for Sexual Medicine
P.O. Box 94 | 1520 AB Wormerveer | The Netherlands