Dear Pitt students,
I hope you are having a restful summer and are making time for self-care, including scheduling your COVID-19 vaccination.
Each student who is vaccinated helps make our community healthier. We are continuing to focus on health and safety for the fall term, and our plans are informed by the knowledge that the COVID-19 vaccines are proven safe and effective. As Chancellor Gallagher shared earlier today, the University of Pittsburgh expects all community members to get vaccinated. COVID-19 vaccinations are proven effective in preventing serious illness. Please get vaccinated as soon as possible, especially if you will be receiving the two-dose vaccine.
As a student who has indicated that you will be moving into University housing for the fall 2021 term, you are required to complete this task:
Submit your proof of immunization to the Student Health Service (SHS) or request an exemption. You may submit your proof of immunization or request an exemption at the Pitt SHS portal.
Students who are vaccinated will not be required to comply with most mitigation measures, such as COVID-19 routine testing, contact tracing, shelter in place, or quarantine when exposed to COVID-19.
Students who are not vaccinated, who do not disclose their vaccination status, or who request an exemption from vaccination will be required to:
- Shelter in place at home for seven days prior to traveling to campus and seven days after arriving on campus.
- Submit a negative COVID-19 test prior to arrival (more details about COVID-19 testing will be provided later this month).
- Comply with additional mitigation measures to attend in-person events and activities, such as completing a second COVID-19 test with a negative result 48 hours after arrival on campus and attending events wearing a face covering both indoors and outdoors.
- Move into University housing on assigned dates. Please read the follow-up email from the University housing office with additional details.
- Participate in a mandatory routine testing program throughout the term.
Throughout the summer and into the fall the University will provide all three vaccines – Pfizer, Moderna and J&J – at Nordenberg Hall on the Pittsburgh campus, subject to availability. Walk-ins are welcome. To ensure a spot, please register at https://pi.tt/vras using access code panthers, or call the vaccine hotline at 412-383-4372.
The University is also offering some great incentives for students who disclose their vaccination status by completing the Vaccination Incentive Disclosure Form. Please note that the Vaccination Incentive Disclosure Form does not suffice for submitting proof of vaccination to Student Health Service.
As of today, Pitt’s health and safety guidelines on campus remain the same, including wearing a face covering while indoors. I will continue to communicate with you and your families throughout the summer about Pitt’s health and safety guidelines. Please continue to take care of yourself, and I look forward to seeing you in the fall!
Kenyon R. Bonner, EdD
Vice Provost and Dean of Students