Two-Week Look Ahead – Jan 21 - Feb. 3
- The middle third of campus has reopened and you can now use the North-South Walkway to move through campus.
- We have begun the first phase of the abatement from Lehman Hall, a process that will take 4-6 weeks. For the first few weeks, all of the abatement work will be
done inside Lehman Hall and all windows will be sealed to contain dust.
- Tomorrow, we will begin closing the parking lane along the Barnard side of Claremont. The lane will be closed for approximately 300 feet, beginning 50 feet north of Lehman Hall and running along Claremont to 50 feet south of Lehman. This will result in the loss of approximately 25 parking spaces. As cars leave these spaces, barriers will be put in place. We hope to have all the cars moved and the parking lane secured late tomorrow. We also will begin working tomorrow to close the sidewalk along Barnard.
- Beginning next Monday, we’ll start bringing in materials to build the construction fence along Claremont Avenue. The 12-foot-tall fence, 4
feet taller than NYC standards require, will surround the entire construction perimeter for the duration of the project. The fence will be draped with sound-deadening blankets that will also help us contain dust.
- In a few weeks, we will begin constructing the scaffolding on the outside of the fence. The scaffolding surrounding the perimeter will also include fine-mesh netting to further capture dust.
- You can expect this initial work along Claremont to last for several weeks. We anticipate beginning the demolition of Lehman around mid-February.
- While we construct the perimeter fence along Claremont and prepare the construction
site, we will temporarily be holding Barnard’s day-to-day trash in containers located along the campus side of Claremont. These containers have plastic lids to reduce the noise that occurs when opening and closing the lids. All trash will be bagged before being thrown into the bins and no construction debris will be placed in these containers. They are strictly being used for Barnard’s day-to-day trash. You will see Action Waste Management workers removing the garbage on a regular basis.
As always, we appreciate your consideration and patience. For general questions and comments, please email me at email@example.com. If you have an urgent issue that needs to be addressed immediately, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org during regular work hours, or call Barnard Public Safety at 212/854-3362 outside of regular work hours.
You can also find specific construction-related FAQs on our website: http://barnard.edu/about-barnard/new-teaching-learning-center/construction-faqs.
Quenta Vettel, Communications Director, Special Projects