Good Afternoon everyone,
This Saturday, 1 April 2017, marks the start of a brand new era for planning and development in South Australia with the commencement of our new planning system under the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 (PDI Act).
On 28 March 2017, His Excellency the Governor in Executive Council proclaimed the initiation of various sections of the PDI Act and the Statutes Amendment (Planning, Development and Infrastructure) Act 2017 which will allow the first elements of the new system to become operational.
The areas of the PDI Act that will commence from 1 April 2017 include:
- objects, principles, and general responsibilities under the Act
- the establishment of the new State Planning Commission
- the framework to develop a new Community Engagement Charter, which will put consultation and participation at the forefront of the planning process
- the establishment of the Minister’s three statutory Advisory Committees to support the implementation of the new system
- the commencement of basic Infrastructure Scheme provisions and pilot general scheme provisions to provide new tools that ensure new infrastructure can be funded and delivered in-line with development
- the establishment of the Environment Food Production Areas (EFPAs) to preserve our vital food and agricultural lands and ensure our growth is sustainable and supports better service delivery
- the capacity for multiple councils to establish Joint Planning Agreements; and
- the establishment of the first stage of ePlanning via the SA Planning Portal.
This is a major milestone for the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) who have been working tirelessly for many months now to put the necessary structures are in place to ensure this will be the start of a smooth transition from the current system under the Development Act 1993.
Further information on the new changes, including a complete list of the various sections that have been commenced, can be found on the SA Planning Portal.
General Manager, Planning and Development Division