BCI July Recap
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his privilege.
– Sharm Scheuerman
At BCI, we’re planning events for summer and fall, and working on updates to our web site. We have been thinking a lot about heroes lately, as we have been inspired by so many who have stepped up to make a difference (like high school basketball star Allan Guei – see our Facebook post below). We are also mourning the great loss of our friend Doug Johnson, President of The Charitable Fund, a true hero who passed away on August 3. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children. We know that his legacy will continue to inspire others to use their own gifts in heroic, selfless ways.
July Facebook Fan Page Wrap-Up
• BCI is psyched for our BCI Basketball Plus camp in Los Angeles on August 20. It will be held at Lueders Park Community Center in Compton. We’d love to have you stop by.
• We’ve invited a local high school hero to stop by to talk to the kids at our BCI Basketball Plus camps in Los Angeles on August 20: Allan Guei, whose inspiring generosity has made national news! We also offer our congratulations to Allan for his accomplishments on and off the court. Read his incredible story at http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43745218/ns/today-good_news/t/-year-old-gives-his-scholarship-other-teens/. It will make your day!
• Confirmed! BCI will partner with Triple Threat Mentoring to participate in the BET Youth Leadership Summit at East Aurora High School in Aurora, IL, September 22-24. Keep checking our fan page for updates.
• How is everyone's summer going? Let us know what y'all are up to!
• “Laziness means more work in the long run.” – C.S. Lewis
Coach Sharm, on Heroes
“Recently, at an event in Alabama with Basketball Club International, I noticed that the kids seemed surprised that professional basketball players would spend time with them, without pay or recognition. They were awed that these heroes from BCI Edge happened to actually care about them.
I remind BCI Edge players, and NBA stars I talk to, not to take this hero thing for granted. I also remind the kids I meet at basketball clinics around the world. I want them, and you, to remember that someone is looking up to you right now. It doesn’t matter how old you are, or what you think you’ve accomplished in life. Someone sees something special in you and wants to be like you.”
– Step Up Your Game: A Playbook for the Next Generation Hero by Sharm Scheuerman
Inspired by Sharm’s perspective on heroes? Visit www.sharmscheuerman.com to read a sample chapter of “Step Up Your Game: A Playbook for the Next Generation Hero,” hear what people are saying about it, and order your copy. Multiple copies (for distribution by your organization) are available with special pricing – contact us for information!
What’s Coming Up for BCI
• August 20: BCI Basketball Plus camp in Los Angeles.
• September 22-24: BET Youth Leadership Summit in Aurora, IL (partnering with Triple Threat Mentoring).
• Additional camps are planned for Denver, Dallas, and Atlanta.
• Annual “Hero” Event in planning stages now.
BCI keeps in touch with our supporters, volunteers, and fans through social media like Facebook and Twitter. We welcome your support and, as our social media presence grows, we hope you will join us online and help to spread the word about BCI! Please feel free to forward this email as well.
Thank you for your support of BCI. BCI Loop and our youth outreach programs depend on the generous spirit of individuals like you. To make a contribution, please visit www.bciedge.org.