In this issue
Columbia Valley, WA
Want an easy way to get those Omega 3s? Look to Nordic Naturals. They promote a healthy heart, body, and mind; can enhance your mood; and help keep your skin and hair looking great. Nordic Naturals' award-winning omega oils are available in patented natural, fruit-flavored capsules, as well as great-tasting liquids to suit even the most discriminating palate.
Looking for a sophisticated alternative to the plain old cheese-and-crackers spread for your next party? Nugget Tapenades are the answer. Made from a blend of finely chopped olives, capers and olive oil, these delicious spreads are great served on slices of a fresh baguette or ciabatta loaf. Find the Sicilian and Kalamata Olive Tapenade varieties at your local Nugget Market, located near the specialty cheeses.
Fresh To Market
September 4, 2007
Volume 1, Issue 3
We hope you enjoyed reading this issue of Fresh To Market. Fresh To Market is a free, bi-weekly email publication of Nugget Market, Inc.
Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Peach Tomato Relish
Try this delicious recipe using Nugget’s Tilapia labeled sustainable by the FishWise program.
Have you ever used a piece of cookware that was discovered by a horse? Well here’s your chance (sort of). Our Saltware is made from natural Himalayan salt and can be used to cook and cure foods while enhancing their flavor. Find out more.
Health Notes from Dr. Liz
Omega-3 oils: Treasures from the Sea
Fat that’s good for you? We know it’s hard to believe, but omega-3 oils, found in seafood (especially fatty fish like salmon), are a type of essential fat that works wonders. Omega-3s play an array of vital roles — from promoting brain health to preventing age-related diseases. They accomplish this by lowering various forms of inflammation, which appear to be the root of many diseases.
- Studies with women show that eating one to two servings of fish weekly cuts heart disease by 40 percent.
- Consuming omega-3 oils through seafood or supplements helps lower circulating levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, which in turn lowers risk for stroke and heart disease.
- Omega-3 fat becomes part of brain cell structure, and adequate intake during development and early years is vital for healthy brain function. Some studies show that Attention Deficit Disorder in children may have links to low omega-3 intake.
- Mild symptoms of depression have been improved by adding omega-3 to the diet.
- Skin disorders such as psoriasis improve with the addition of omega-3 foods or supplements (this lowers inflammation and lessens skin irritation).
Fishing for omega-3s
We don’t get nearly enough of this precious fat from the foods we eat, because good sources are scarce in our diets.
- Eat salmon, sardines, and other fatty fish – aim for one to two servings weekly (one serving = three to four ounces.)
- Add flaxseed oil and meal (found in the grain aisle) as these supply a form of omega-3 oils. Flaxseed oil can be used as salad dressing and try flax meal mixed into cereals, casseroles or smoothies.
- Many breakfast cereals, margarines, eggs and other products are fortified with omega-3s, which is helpful particularly if you don’t eat seafood.
- EPA and DHA supplements are an option. The recommended intake is a little over one gram (1000 milligrams) daily.
—Liz Applegate, Ph.D.
Who is Dr. Liz?
Dr. Liz Applegate, a nationally renowned expert in nutrition and fitness, is the director of sports nutrition at the University of California at Davis where she consults with student athletes and teaches the largest general nutrition class in the UC system. Dr. Applegate also is the nutrition columnist for Runner’s World.
Best of Barrel in Davis
When: Oct 5, 2007 5:00 PM
Where: Nugget Market, 1414 E. Covell Blvd., Davis
Wine and Food Tasting Extravaganza
Hosted by Nugget Market and Yolo CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates), raising funds for advocate training and development. CASA has been serving foster care since 1977.
Tickets are available at Nugget Markets in Davis, West Sacramento and Woodland.
Tickets are $30.
Best of the Barrel in Vacaville
When: Sep 21, 2007 5:00 PM
Where: Nugget Market, 130 Browns Valley Parkway, Vacaville
Best of Barrel Wine and Food Tasting Extravaganza
Hosted by Nugget Market and the Vacaville Sunrise Rotary Club, raising funds for the Great Wonders Playground in Andrews Park in Vacaville.
Tickets are available at Nugget Market in Vacaville.
Tickets are $30.