In this issue
The Fresh Smart and Green Giveaway!
Think Fresh, Smart and Green: Nugget Markets and Fresh Express are teaming up to give away some SMART prizes in our stores! Enter to win one of two Smart cars or one of four $500 Nugget Markets gift cards. Winners will be drawn on November 11th, 2009.
Free Salad Coupon
Get a free bag of Fresh Express Salad with this week’s featured coupon! Nugget Markets is partnering with Fresh Express to give away Fresh, Smart and Green stuff. Pick up your free bag Caesar Salad today.
2006 Monte Antico Toscana
You may have seen this wine on the cover of Wine Spectator Magazine recently. This 85 percent Sangiovese, 10 percent Cabernet Sauvignon and 5 percent Merlot blend was listed as one of the great values coming out of Italy. This is a true Old World meets New World wine. Great acidity and minerality of the Old World combined with the fruit forwardness of the New World.
$9.99, save $6.00
Tuscan Blood Orange Candles from Pacifica
For a luxurious scent for fall, try Tuscan Blood Orange candles from Pacifica. They’re made with paraffin wax, lead-free wicks and essential and natural oils — and we especially love them for their beautiful packaging!
Walk for Hunger
El Dorado Hills, CA
Nugget Market in El Dorado Hills supports the Food Bank of El Dorado County for this year’s Walk for Hunger on Saturday, November 7 from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. (registration begins at 7:30 a.m.). This yearly event raises awareness and funds for the fight against hunger in our community. The walk starts in the Town Center parking lot in El Dorado Hills. For more information, visit foodbankedc.org.
Toast of the Town
Nugget Market supports this year’s Toast of the Town Wine Tasting and Art Show. Presented by the City of Rocklin, this popular fundraiser also offers dinner, a live auction and raffle, all benefiting the City’s Station Xtreme teen program. This event takes place on Saturday, November 7, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Rocklin Sunset Center. For more information, please call
2009 Bicycling Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
Nugget Markets supports this event, honoring 4 legendary U.S. cyclists and sports contributors (Richard Cortright, Phyllis Harmon, Clayton John, and Nelson Vails). The induction ceremony will take place Saturday, November 7, at 6 p.m. in Freeborn Hall on the UC Davis campus. For more information, please visit usbhof.com.
Center for Violence-free Relationships — Annual Auction Gala
El Dorado Hills, CA
Nugget Market in El Dorado Hills once again supports the Center for Violence-free Relationships by participating with a tasting table at the Center’s annual fundraiser on November 7, at 6 p.m. at Mercedes-Benz of El Dorado Hills. The center provides services to families affected by domestic violence in the EDH area and offers safe shelter and services for women and children. For more information, please visit thecenternow.org.
Nugget Market in El Dorado Hills once again supports the Center for Violence-free Relationships by participating with a tasting table at the Center’s annual fundraiser on November 7, 6pm at Mercedes-Benz of El Dorado Hills. The Center provides services to families affected by domestic violence in the EDH area and offers safe shelter and services for women and children. For more information, thecenternow.org.
To find out about other events in your community, visit our events page.
Download this week’s ad
Fresh to Market
October 28, 2009
Volume 3, Issue 23
We hope you enjoyed reading this issue of Fresh to Market. Fresh to Market is a free, bi-weekly email publication of Nugget Market, Inc.
Prices valid 10/28/09 - 11/4/09.
Featured Recipe: Tomato, Squash & Fresh Mozzarella Tart
Fresh Mozzarella “Ciliegine”
Featured in our Mozzarella Tart recipe (above), these delightful little balls of fresh Mozzarella are made from all-natural, Grade A cow’s milk. They’re also great for antipasti platters, salads or pasta dishes.
Celebrate Crisp Autumn Mornings …
With their rich pumpkin flavor and touch of spice, cinnamon and sweetness, our pumpkin muffins are the ideal start to your day. Enjoy them with a cup of Nugget’s signature artisan coffee.
4-Pack Jumbo Muffins Price: $3.99 Save: $1.00
Health Notes with Dr. Liz
Six Foods for Fall
The air is crisp and the days are shorter — it’s official, fall has arrived! This means there’s a new array of health-boosting foods in the produce department. Check out these six must-eat fall foods for better health:
- Butternut squash: A powerhouse of nutrients, a serving of this squash has over 100 percent of the Daily Value of vitamin A (as carotene) and more potassium than a banana. Microwave, bake or grill 2 ”x2” cubes or “smash” like potatoes for a comforting side dish.
- Brussels sprouts: A cousin of cabbage, Brussels sprouts supply potent cancer-fighting compounds called indoles. Steam, braise or microwave them with your favorite herbs.
- Persimmon: These beautiful fruits supply more than 50 percent of the Daily Value for vitamin C, as well as a series of disease-fighting antioxidants such as catechins (similar to what is in green tea). Eat the Fuyu variety like an apple, or slice it for a colorful addition to salads. The Hachiya variety ripens to a soft texture, making it an excellent base for muffins and breads.
- Walnuts: With the local harvest complete, you can enjoy a new crop of these heart-healthy nuts. Walnuts supply two essential fats: omega-6 and omega-3. Studies show eating walnuts may help lower your cholesterol and heart disease risk. Eat them toasted in salads, or as a topping for cereal or yogurt.
- Wild Rice: Grown just north of here, wild rice is actually a grass seed rather than a true rice. Wild rice is rich in folate, a B vitamin needed for healthy red blood cells. This vitamin is also essential for pregnant women and can even help fend off cancer. Use it as a side dish or stuffing in poultry.
—Liz Applegate, Ph.D.