In this issue
This Week’s Ad
Check out our ad for even more deals! (2.8MB PDF)
Gold Medal Winners! They’ve Got the
Get to know the winning wines from the California State Fair’s wine competition. Every year, we devote an entire issue of the Wine Press to the Gold Medal winners from the State Fair. Whatever your palate or your price range, there is something in here for you! Download a copy of our Wine Press today or pick one up in stores now.
– Hank Beal, Nugget Markets Director of Adult Beverages.
Jeff Runquist 1448 Red Blend
||Jeff Runquist 1448 Red Blend
|$14.99, save $2, 750 ml.
- Double Gold Medal
- Golden Winery
- Best of California
- Best of Class: California (State) Appellations
Originally made for the winery staff, this is made from the wine left over after all the other single varietal wines are made. 1448 is the elevation of the winery.
Lander Jenkins Chardonnay
||Lander Jenkins Chardonnay
|$9.99, save $4, 750 ml.
This Chardonnay is a blend of grapes from Lodi, Trinity and Napa Valley. A rich and balanced wine, with characteristics of ripe, delicious stone fruits and crisp acidity. One hundred percent sustainably grown — good for the land, good for the grapes, good for the wine.
Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon
||Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon
|$23.99, save $6, 750 ml.
- Double Gold Medal
- Best of California
- Best of Class (Tie): Napa Appellations
Rated the “Best Cabernet Sauvignon” at the Fair, and it is hard to argue against that! From a great year, with intense aromas of ripe cherry, cedar and pipe tobacco. Concentrated flavors of ripe plums and dark Bing cherries marry perfectly with the oak nuances, imparting notes of brown spice and vanilla. Truly an elegant wine.
Live on the Boulevard
El Dorado Hills
From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The El Dorado Hills Town Center hosts 14 free outdoor summer concerts, every Thursday evening from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Steven Young Amphitheater. Nugget is delighted to partner with the Town Center to make possible these free, fun, summertime evenings for the community. This week, it’s Super Huey, a Huey Lewis and the News tribute band. eldoradohillstowncenter.com
Wine Tastings with
Join us for a wine tasting at the following locations, 5 to 7 p.m.:
- West Sacramento — 2011 State Fair Gold Medal Winners
- El Dorado Hills — Forefront Wines by Pine Ridge
- Roseville — State Fair Gold Medal Winner Tasting
National Night Out
From 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Location: Vacaville, CA
August 2 is National Night Out for 2011, a time when neighbors across the country join with their local law enforcement to raise awareness regarding crime prevention in their cities and immediate communities. We’re proud to support the Vacaville Police Department for National Night Out, helping to keep our community a safe place to live and work. cityofvacaville.com
For more information on upcoming events in your community, please visit the events section of our Web site.
Fresh to Market
July 20, 2011
Volume 5, Issue 13
We hope you enjoyed reading this issue of Fresh to Market. Fresh to Market is a free, bi-weekly email publication of Nugget Market, Inc.
Prices valid 6/15/2011 – 6/21/2011.
Pork Egg Rolls
When I think about the State Fair, I think of fried foods. This is a simple recipe so that you can make delicious, rich, crispy egg rolls in the comfort of your own home, and hopefully they'll remind you of the Fair, as well.
– Jeff Clark, Nugget Markets Executive Chef
2009 Castle Rock Pinot Noir
A great pairing for our featured recipe, the Castle Rock folks source fruit from all over the state and beyond. This Pinot Noir is a blend from different vineyards along the Central Coast, an excellent area for this varietal. A medium-bodied, super-versatile food wine with cherry and plum flavors, silky texture and mild tannins.
||2009 Castle Rock Pinot Noir
|$9.99, save $4, 750 ml.
Happy Heirlooms Come from California
|$2.99/lb., save $3/lb.
Farm Owner Greg Beccio has been growing organically for more than 20 years in the central coast region of Northern California. Happy Boy Farms is based near Watsonville and tends to multiple plots of lands located in neighboring counties. Pick up these incredible heirlooms for $2.99/lb., save $3/lb. from July 20 – 24 only.
Golden Grilled Peaches from our Deli
||Golden Grilled Peaches
|$1.99 ea., save $1 ea.
Summer is in full swing and so are summer fruits! Right now, come to our deli for a delectable twist on a familiar stone fruit — try our grilled peaches: lightly grilled and stuffed with goat cheese.
California-Grown Large Cantaloupes
||California Grown Cantaloupe
|2/$3, save $2 on 2
We give cantaloupe a gold medal for its impressive amounts of vitamin C and beta carotene. Pick one up this week while they are on sale!
Health Notes with Dr. Liz
Gold Medal Eats
State Fair time means some finger-licking-good eats. While fair food has the reputation of being anything but healthy with the likes of deep-fried Kool-Aid (fried dough balls infused with Kool-Aid!), believe it or not, there are also some healthy choices. So whether you like sampling offerings at the fair or making your own versions at home, here are some ideas.
- Fruit kabobs and yogurt dip: Nothing says summer like seasonal fruit — peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe and strawberries — arranged colorfully on a skewer. Loaded with vitamin C and potassium, serve the kabobs with yogurt dip (mix Greek or regular yogurt with a squeeze of honey, or find ready-made yogurt dip in the deli section.)
- Grilled veggie platter: Many fairs offer a variety of locally grown vegetables such as summer squash grilled to perfection and served chilled. Low in calories but filling, grilled vegetables can be made ahead of time and brought out for easy appetizers or a side dish.
- Fresh lemonade: A vitamin C powerhouse, fresh-squeezed lemon juice also provides health-boosting flavonoids that ward off cancer. Sweeten with honey and mix with sparkling water for a hydrating summertime beverage that pairs with any food.
- Black-bean salsa and yam chips: Made with canned black beans, fresh corn, onion, cilantro and jalapeno for a kick, this salsa packs cholesterol-lowering fiber and a good dose of protein. Try with baked vegetable chips like yam or beet. You can also pile this salsa over fresh salad, on grilled seafood or meats, or just eat it straight out of the bowl.
- Roasted almonds: Packed with vitamin E (best known for fighting age-related diseases), almonds also supply heart-healthy fats. Simply roast in the oven or toast in a skillet, let cool and enjoy.
—Liz Applegate, Ph.D.