What have we done in March and April?
• Poured the new concrete deck, kerbs and barriers on the Otaika Bridge.
• Completed building the western ‘wing walls’ for the new Otaika Bridge.
• Continued relocating the existing services into ‘service trenches’ along the western and south-eastern sides of Otaika Road and on Tarewa Road. The new service trenches will ensure easy access for future maintenance and reduced impacts on neighbours. In some areas we have completed installing the trenches and services, enabling us to backfill.
• Began installing service ducts through the new Otaika Bridge. The ducts will carry services such as gas, water, power, phone and internet across the Raumanga Stream.
• Continued building new retaining walls and acoustic fences on private properties. These will help to support SH1 when it’s widened to two lanes in each direction.
• We shifted the live traffic lanes so service work could be completed. This was made possible by the removal of the old traffic islands and the temporary right turn closures at Tarewa Road.