The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development advises of a risk rating of MEDIUM for the recreational abalone session from 7am to 8am this Saturday, 11 December 2021.
Please PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
More information on the predicted conditions is available from our website.
- The Department asks fishers to please keep in mind the following safety tips when fishing for abalone:
- Check the conditions. If they are too rough or you are unsure, don't go in.
- Fish at a patrolled beach if possible.
- Take note of the number of any BEN signs in the area.
- Wear a wetsuit or light clothing that will not become too heavy when wet, and protective footwear.
- Carry your catch in a loose-weave net bag; this will allow water to pass through and not become a dragging weight.
- Attach your measuring gauge to your wrist; don't hang it around your neck.
- Study the waves before you get into the water and keep an eye on the swell while fishing – it is easy to be injured on reefs.
- If you do get into trouble, try to stay calm and raise one arm (an international distress signal) to attract help.
For more info go to www.fish.wa.gov.au
Please DO NOT REPLY to this email as this mailbox is not monitored.